Sunday, March 30, 2014

My First Sewing "Teacher"

Happy Sunday! Thought I'd tell you a little story. When I first decided to learn to sew a few years ago, I went to the library and got some books. Sure, I could whip up a pillow case without directions but I wanted to be able to make something more complicated, which was going to require some research. [Quick side note. HG is currently dragging her father around the living room dancing to "No Woman No Cry," which is pretty amusing.] One of the books was the amazing Bend the Rules Sewing by Amy Karol.



This is the perfect book for anyone wanting to learn to sew these days. You don't have to actually do any of her projects, but the unconventional directions she includes and the neat ideas offer both plenty of inspiration and plenty of practical, get-it-done advice. She's funny, she's charming, and she's a great sewer! 

Amy also has a blog, called the Angry Chicken. One of the first projects I tried from there was this fun and easy one on felt hairclips. I made a lot of hairclips. AM made a lot of hair clips. Some of ours came out pretty well, and HG even wore some for a while. She's moved on to headbands now, though. But I do still use a  bias tape application method I learned from Amy on this hysterical video. You should watch it even if you don't want to learn how to sew. What is bias tape, you ask? Bias tape is a thin folded piece of fabric that is a little stretchy (because it's cut on the bias) that covers the edge of something else. Sometimes it matches the larger fabric and sometimes it contrasts. You might have seen it along the neckline of a blouse or dress, or you can also see an example here on my snack sacks. I definitely still use her method for sewing it on!


So if you'd like sewing to be in your future, I highly recommend Amy's book to start. Go for it!  Maybe you'll open an Etsy shop too!

P.S. HG is still dancing, though the music has now progressed to Fleetwood Mac. 
P.P.S. Amy Karol has no idea who I am. I just really like her book.

No comments:

Post a Comment